5/8/12

Wacom Intuos5 Review Update

Now that I've had a chance to spend a little more time with the Intuos5 I've uncovered a few warts.  But, I've also become even more impressed with some features.  So, all in all I'm still just as excited about the product.

First, the bad.  The touch features are buggy.  Sometimes they just don't seem to respond.  Additionally, the rotate feature is not as useful as I would have thought.  Zooming and scrolling is nice....but again, when it works.  However, I'm thinking that some of these issues are user error, or buggy drivers.  Both of those issues should improve over time.  It would be nice if they gave you a little more control over how sensitive/fast the rotate, zoom, etc. features responded.

Also, the heads up display seems to have a mind of its own.  Perhaps I just haven't quite figured it out.  Yet, it seems that it comes up when it's not needed, but when I need it I can't get it to pop up.  Again, perhaps I'm just an apologist, but I figure I'll get to know the settings over time to where I don't need the heads up display at all.

On an incredibly nit picky note, the power button on the side of the wireless module is pretty hard to find without physically picking up the tablet and holding it six inches from your face.  A small issue, and one that brings me to....

The good. The wireless kit is awesome.  I love sitting on my couch with no wires connecting me to anything and drawing on my laptop.  It's great.  Of course, I never had the bluetooth wireless version for the Intuos4.  So, I have nothing with which to compare it.

I've become even more impressed with the touch and accuracy.  It just seems to react better to a lighter touch.  Perhaps that is more about me becoming accustomed to the tool than as actual feature of this tablet?

I've become more impressed with the radial windows than I thought that I would.  There are so many things that you can do with this.  The only question becomes what hotkeys, actions, etc. to put where.  It is so customizable that I can see it taking months to figure out all of the customizations.  I haven't been doing this long enough to really have a work flow.  But, I can understand the importance of a workflow to your overall productivity.  I don't think that anyone can deny that the Intuos5 has the potential to improve your workflow well beyond what was offered with the Intuos4.

No comments:

Post a Comment